The White House has been defending, and defending, and claiming, and defending that the President’s current Magical Misery Bus tour, like the last Magical Misery Bus tour, is not about campaigning for re-election. Nope, this is all about the President’s Jobs plan, which seems to no longer exist. That’s right folks, according to the White House, the President is justified to use your tax-payer dollars for this “tour” and not pay for it himself out of his campaign coffers.
So, when you see him holding babies, it’s not campaigning, it’s reconnecting with the youth that he has saddled with tremendous debt. Or when you see him glad-handing the crowds, he’s not campaigning, he’s making himself available to citizenry of the nation. His presence in presidential battleground states is merely coincidental. His partisan rhetoric challenging his political opponents and his juxtaposition of his policies against the GOP presidential primary field is not remotely related the campaign and his re-election efforts. Nothing to see here folks, this is business as usual.
Of course, someone forgot to send the Vice President the memo saying eway reaay otnay niay ampaigncay odemay (for those pig latin impaired, that’s we are not in campaign mode).
Are we campaigning? Yes! We are campaigning to change this environment. – Joe Biden
Let’s face it folks, this is the epitome of dishonesty. Of course he’s campaigning. It’s blatantly obvious he’s campaigning . But what does this say about him? More importantly, what does it say about his attitude towards you and the nation? This tour and the comments of the President vis a vis this tour clearly demonstrate that he thinks:
1) You are an idiot too stupid to recognize an obvious lie when you see it;
2) You are so gullible that you’ll believe any excuse that denies reality;
3) Your taxpayer money is his money, whether you like it or not, and he can do whatever he wants with it;
It is but another example of how this Administration is guilty of Fraud, Waste and Abuse. From “betting” tax dollars on failing business ventures, to lying to Congress over criminal misconduct, to exercising judicial prejudice in not prosecuting clear voter intimidation. This Administration has been fundamentally and categorically dishonest with the American people. This is but another case in point.
If Mitt Romney, Rick Perry, Herman Cain or any of the other presidential challengers were to embark on a three-day bus trip like the one now underway by President Obama, it would cost their campaigns tens of thousands of dollars. Perhaps more.
They would have to pay a variety of expenses, including:
- air travel to their first destination
- leasing of one or more buses appropriate to the journey
- rental for halls or meeting rooms for their candidates’ appearances
- the cost of lodging and meals for their candidate and staff
But not the Obama campaign. The White House declared that Mr. Obama’s three-day trip through North Carolina and Virginia are official events and not campaign appearances, even though the two states are known to be political objectives of his re-election bid.
So Mr. Obama’s expenses are borne by taxpayers, including:
- the pro-rated costs of his flights aboard Marine One and Air Force One that brought him to his first stop yesterday in Asheville, NC
- the two buses used by him and his staff, owned and operated by the United States Secret Service
- costs associated with setting up speech sites including microphones, speakers, amplifiers, teleprompters and TV lights
- lodging and meals for the president and his political staff
It’s an advantage enjoyed by every incumbent president seeking re-election — and a disadvantage endured by his challengers. And though the White House has said the trip is not political, Mr. Obama has repeatedly used his speeches to take Republicans to task for opposing the provisions of his jobs bill.