So, at a certain event last Friday, I was approached by a kind old lady promoting the local chapter of the Tea Party. She handed me some literature and gave my boy a balloon, and we both went our merry way. A couple days later, I managed to sit down and read the pamphlet she gave me. Amazingly, there was nothing racist in it or- for that matter- violent. However, it did have some pretty interesting concepts laid out as their Core Principles:
1. Unalienable rights of the individual, as endowed by our Creator.
2. Constitutionally limited government.
3. Adherence to original documents and intent of the America’s founders.
4. Fiscal responsibility.
5. The Rule of Law.
6. Personal responsibility and individual charity.
7. National sovereignty and American Exceptionalism.
8. Free market economy.
9. Protection of equality, regardless of race, sex or creed.
10. Accountability and transparency of all governing entities.
Not overly complicated premises and something that nearly every American can agree on. Unfortunately, this Administration has demonstrably broken every single one of these principles, and it has done it with a callous disregard for the people of this nation. The concept seems to be difficult for liberals to understand, but there would be no Tea Party today without the election, and subsequent governing of Barack Obama. It has been his Administration and his policies that have brought us to where we are today, which frankly, is pretty damn close to the side of a cliff.
But first, let us examine the various violations to these principles.
1. Unalienable rights… Aside from repeatedly forgetting our Creator, this of the Core Principles, has been the most violated. It is really a collection of abuse, some of which noted below, that amount to an insurmountable body of evidence that demonstrates a complete and total disregard for a chief component of American Exceptionalism: life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. From the mountains of debt to the Constitutional neglect, this Administration has repeatedly violated our unalienable rights.
2. Constitutionally limited government… Obamacare is the antithesis of Constitutionally limited government. It has been found Unconstitutional in Federal court, and is being appealed to the 11th Circuit, but it will undoubtedly make its way to the U.S. Supreme Court for a final ruling. The scope and breadth of the individual intrusions built into this Orwellian law is mind numbing. It is a clear abuse of the Commerce Clause and a direct violation of the 10th Amendment, it is- and has remained- wildly unpopular, yet the Administration rammed it down the peoples throat anyway. So much for Representative government.
3. Original documents and intent… History and law courses will be taught on the various, and vast, abuses to our founding documents and the intent of our Founding Fathers in the establishment of this nation. Granted, the road was being built before Obama took office, but the efficiency and speed of destruction that he has applied is without equal. Limited government is a concept that he abjectly refuses to entertain. The sovereignty of States and their mandated supremacy on issues not specifically addressed in the Constitution over the Federal Government is loathed by this Administration.
4. Fiscal responsibility… Frankly, this Administration has failed so utterly at fiscal responsibility that it is hardly anything new to anyone. But it is important to understand some key numbers. Our National Debt, which currently stands at $14.2 Trillion dollars is growing by $4 Billion dollars PER DAY. Our monthly deficit for February was $223 Billion dollars, which, by way of comparision, is approximately $80 Billion dollars more than the annual deficit of 2007. When the Federal debt obligation is combined with the personal debt obligation, on average, the total debt per citizen is $177,720 dollars. At the end of 2007, our national debt was 9,229,172,659,218.31. As of today, it is 14,224,862,420,919.33, which is a 54% increase in just four years.
5. Rule of Law… There are a couple of examples of this, but I’ll concentrate on just one- the Defense of Marriage Act. We have a system of government made up of three branches. One- Congress- writes the laws, another- the President- enforces the laws and the third- the Supreme Court- ensures that those laws, and/or their enforcement are within the guidelines of the Constitution. Obama’s unilateral announcement that he wasn’t going to defend a Constitutionally passed law because he had decided it was unconstitutional is, well, unconstitutional. He doesn’t get to decide what laws are, or are not, Constitutional. Period. End of discussion. He is Constitutionally obligated to enforce and defend the laws of this nation, whether he likes them or not. There is a process for changing laws, he doesn’t get to change that.
6. Personal responsibility and individual charity… It is hard to talk about personal responsibility with this Administration. Well, that is of course unless you are wealthy, which means you make close to, but it’s really undefined, a couple hundred grand a year. Then, of course, you have a personal responsibility to redistribute your wealth to others, which really means the unions. This Administration is ever trying to get the average person dependent on the government, whatever form that may take.
7. National sovereignty and American Exceptionalism… Of course, border security is synonymous with sovereignty. You cannot claim to be a sovereign territory if you can’t even control your own territory. So when Obama decided to sue the state of Arizona for essentially doing the job the fed refuses to do, well, he more or less announced his intent to not respect our national sovereignty. Likewise, Obama’s early Global Apology Tour was directed specifically at undermining the concept of American Execptionalism. For Obama, it is better to be average, or even below average (which probably says more about his unreleased academic records than anything) than to think highly of oneself.
8. Free market… From Government Motors, to the massive bank take over through TARP, to the constant incorporation of political thugs, A.K.A. unions, into national policy- this Administration has constantly undermined free market principles. Union bosses brag about speaking to the White House daily, and the White House was assisting unions in Wisconsin against the Governor. Of course, what could one expect, the unions said they’d get their money back and Obama has constantly worked in their favor over the betterment of the nation.
9. Protection of equality… I had mentioned earlier in Rule of Law that there were a couple of examples, and while this would have fit nicely there, it is more applicable here: the Black Panther Voter Intimidation case. The Administration’s failure to prosecute, what was essentially a slam dunk case, and the subsequent revelations that this failure to prosecute was based on a policy of racist undertones obviously conflicts with the notion of equality. The constant meme early on that Obama was going to be a post-racial president has been demonstrably false. From Obama’s immediate racial reaction to, and subsequent Beer-summit to his Attorney General Eric Holder’s people, this Administration has demonstrated that it is the most racially motivated Administration in at least the last century.
10. Accountability and transparency… The irony in Obama scheduling an award ceremony for transparency following a day’s worth of closed door meetings was not lost on most. Nor was the 308 days that went by in between Presidential press conferences in 2010. His last press conference, in Brazil, took no questions. Obama has more czars now than any other President in history. He even wants a czar to manage communications between the czars. Furthermore, the way in which Obamacare was passed (through back door deals in the dead of night and without even reading the bill- we have to pass it so you can see what’s in it…) demonstrates how serious- or not- this Administration takes transparency.
Issue after issue, principle after principle, this Administration has demonstrated consistently since it took office that it not only does not hold the interests of the nation at heart, but that it intends to transform the nation into something else.
The left can continue to throw mud on the wall in the desperate hope that something sticks to tarnish the image and subsequently cause the tea party movement to falter, but the 800 lb gorilla in the room is the simple fact that were it not for the Obama Administration, there would be no Tea Party. These principles, and the Administrations defile of such, define the ever growing fracture between We the People and the Administration.